TYPOGRAPHY - PROJECT 2

TYPOGRAPHY - PROJECT 2
24.10.18 - 31.10.18 (Week 9 - Week 10)
Maydeline (0335392)
Typography
Project 2 - Font Design

LECTURES

Lecture 9 : -

24.10.18 (Week 9)

We had no lecture this week but we were briefed about project 2.

Lecture 10 : -

31.10.18 (Week 10)

We had no lecture this week but we are briefed about our final project and we were taught how to use fontlab to generate our digitised font design.

INSTRUCTIONS


PROJECT 2 (Week 9 - Week 10)

Font Design - Study of A Alphabet & Creating our own font of name initials (Week 9)

We were given an exercise where we had to pick an alphabet or letter from our name initials. We had to study the letters and observed the features. We had to either choose a serif or sans serif font to study on. We had to use lines or circles to construct the letters. We can choose either uppercase letters or lowercase letters.

The requirements are:
1. Lowercase letters should be at 500pt x-height
2. Uppercase letters should be at 700pt x-height
3. The font can only be in regular or bold

I chose the letter A because my name is "Maydeline". I chose to study and observe on the font called "Bembo" Regular.

Fig 1.1 The construction of the letter A

From this study and observation, I noticed that this letter and font has lots of circles and lines to construct this letter. There are horizontal and diagonal lines. There are also several circles that the letter has. In addition, I also noticed that the left line of the 'A' is thinner than the right one. 

After this study, we moved on to the next task where we had to study a certain font and developed it. I chose Bembo as references for my font design. I did some sketches and used my initials "MAJ" from "Maydeline Jong".
Fig 1.2 Sketch of my initials

I used the pen tool in Illustrator and digitise the letters.
Fig 1.3 Digitized letters 

Fig 1.4 Name Initial Digitze (1st Attempt)


Mr Vinod said that it looked nice but he said that the thickness of the three different letters were different and I needed to change a bit to make it look similar. In addition, he suggested me to make a bit changes on the J and make the left thickness of the "M" same like the rest of the letters.

Fig 1.5 Name Initial Digitize (2nd Attempt)

Fig 1.6 Thumbnail 

Creating own font in FontLab Studio 5 (Week 10)

In this week, we could create our own font by using the FontLab Studio 5 and learned how to digitise it. Before that, we copy paste from Illustrator to FontLab and merge the shapes and lines together to create the whole letterform.

Fig 1.6 Screenshot of process (FontLab)

Fig 1.7 Screenshot of process (FontLab)

Fig 1.8 Screenshot of process (FontLab)

Fig 1.9 Final Outcome in Font Lab


FEEDBACK

Week 9

Mr Vinod said that my sketching font design was good but for the "J" I needed make it shorter because it was too long and the descender height was too far. He also reminded to print the result of our font design, the sketch and the exercise of the letter.

Week 10

I showed Mr Shamsul my book and he said that my book cover and 3rd page were okay. For the 2nd page, I shouldn't use lines to express the words.

REFLECTION

EXPERIENCES

Week 9

I had a hard time studying the letters but after I've done it, I can see the bends and thickness of the letters more clearly.

Week 10

I had a tough time digitising the letters because I had to make sure that the letters are neat. I wasn't good at drawing with pen tool because it had to be very precise and good.

OBSERVATIONS

Week 9

I observed that I should make the font very minimalistic and simple instead of making huge changes. After I did some small changes, the letters actually looked really good.

Week 10

I observed that each letters don't have the same thickness and I had to make my letters the same as well.

FINDINGS

Week 9

I found out that there are lots of steps in creating a font starting from studying it for a long time and understanding it till digitising it in the Adobe Software.

Week 10

I found out that instead of pen tool, we can use other tools like how pathfinder is very vital in creating a font.

FURTHER READING

Drawing for Graphic Design
Week 9 - Week 10


Fig 2.1 Drawing Graphic Design
Chapter : Pictorial Typography
http://eds.b.ebscohost.com.ezproxy.taylors.edu.my/eds/detail/detail?vid=1&sid=76e17062-910f-49e3-9d20-d013c56d71f4%40pdc-v-sessmgr05&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWRzLWxpdmUmc2NvcGU9c2l0ZQ%3d%3d#AN=tayl.3254995&db=cat00212a
Reductive drawings comprise a second, non pictorial geography. These include bold, minimal shape and configurations (dot/line compositions, for example, or patterns, non pictorial symbols(like logos) and, even more distinctly, typographic forms. Reductive, non pictorial elements serve a similar purpose as their more complex, environmental counterparts as noted, being simply more distilled. Symbols are used to convey extraordinarily complex ideas and narratives.

A letterform is a configuration of line, mass, and space ; words and paragraphs are visualisations of spoken language. Typeface styles are manipulations of these forms' visual attributes to visually express sequences of verbal information. It's difficult for designers to conceive types as an image, which is why its commonly the most difficult component of design to master. To consider type a drawing, governed by the same qualities as are any other kinds of image, liberates it from its purely verbal function and allows a designer to impart it with similar vitality and use it more dramatically in layouts.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY - EXERCISES

DESIGN PRINCIPLES - EXERCISES & PROJECTS

MINOR PROJECT