DESIGN RESEARCH METHODOLOGY - PROPOSAL

DESIGN RESEARCH METHODOLOGY - PROPOSAL

03.04.19 - 24.04.19(Week 1 - Week 4)
Maydeline (0335392)
Design Research Methodology
Proposal

LECTURES

Lecture 1 : Module Briefing/Research

03.04.19

On the first week of this class, we were given a brief of our upcoming activities and firstly we focus on making the proposal. In addition, we were also given a short lecture about researching our field of interest and also find a research problem.




Lecture 2 : Problem statement / Research questions / Research objectives

09.04.19

For this week, we were taught how to write problem statement, research questions and research objectives.






Lecture 3 : Developing Research Questions

17.04.19

This week, we were taught how to create research questions and here are the slides given by the lecturers.



INSTRUCTIONS




PROPOSAL


Proposal and Research

Week 1 - Week 2

In this week, I was still considering new media as a topic because I wasn't still sure what I want to choose and I kept researching lots of things about new media. I found one problem /issue about UX Design in web design as it is very crucial but designers seem to forget how important it is.


Fig 1.1 1st attempt of Problem statement

Dr Noorhayati said that my research was good as it shows the problem but she suggested to write about Human Experience Design (Virtual Reality as an example) since it would be more interesting. I actually agree with her because I'm interested in UI,UX and game design which are all related to multimedia. I kept researching about immersive experience design. I was interested with virtual reality because although it is an amazing, there are also some problems. I decided to research more about virtual reality and how it gives users experiences until today. 



Fig 1.2 1st attempt proposal

Proposal Submission

Week 3 - Week 4 

I had consulted with Dr Hayati with my 2nd attempt proposal. She pointed out that my research objectives are too many as I won't have enough time to study all of that so I needed to erase one of it. She also told me that my research questions and research objectives should be related.

     
Fig 1.3 2nd attempt proposal

I had a final consultation with Dr Hayati before submitting the proposal. She told me to change my hypothesis as it is a very bold statement. Everything else is alright but she told me to cite in my problem statement and change the sentences in my research objectives.


 
Fig 1.3 3rd attempt proposal (Final)


FEEDBACK

Week 1

Ms Jinchi suggested me to research more about my topic research from articles and books.

Week 2

Dr Noorhayati said that my research was good as it shows the problem but she suggested to write about Human Experience Design (Virtual Reality as an example) since it would be more interesting.

Week 3

Dr Noorhayati saw my proposal and she said that I was on the right track. For the research problem, I need to research more for the problem statement. For the questions and objectives, it should be interrelated that need to make a bit changes and also mentioned that my objectives are too many that I won't have enough time. 

Week 4

Dr Noorhayati said that my overall proposal is okay but the hypothesis that I've written is a bold statement so I had to change it and for the research objectives I had to change or erase some words.


REFLECTION

Experience

It was very challenging at first as I didn't have a clear idea of my field of interest. I kept researching and thinking of what I really wanted to do and the more I read, the more I got confused and stressed about my research topic. It was so difficult to express what I wanted to say in words but the lecturer listened and guided me to write a good proposal. It was very helpful and I was thankful to the lecturers.

Observation

I noticed that I shouldn't overcomplicate things because my mind would wander off and it would be everywhere. I also observed that many of my classmates are just like me, unsure of our field of interest and topic.

Findings

As I was reading more about my topic which was immersive design, I found out that there is a lot of science and theories of psychology that influences the design choices we make to attract people's attention.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY - EXERCISES

DESIGN PRINCIPLES - EXERCISES & PROJECTS

MINOR PROJECT