DESIGN RESEARCH METHODOLOGY - RESEARCH IMPLEMENTATION

DESIGN RESEARCH METHODOLOGY - RESEARCH IMPLEMENTATION


15.05.19 - 14.06.19 (Week 7 -  Week 11)
Maydeline (0335392)
Design Research Methodology
Research Implementation

LECTURES

Lecture 7 : Research Implementation

15.05.19 (Week 7)

Today's class started with a short briefing about our research implementation and also we discussed about the file attached in TIMES.


Lecture 8 : -

22.05.19 (Week 8)

No lecture due to public holiday but we had to submit a powerpoint slides about our research implementation. 

Lecture 9 : -

30.05.19 (Week 9)

No lecture this week but we had to do a consultation with the lecturers. 


Lecture 10  : -

03.06.19 (Week 10)

No lecture this week as it was public holiday so we continued with executing our research implementation. 


INSTRUCTIONS




RESEARCH IMPLEMENTATION

15.05.19 (Week 7)

While looking at the lectures notes in TIMES, I decided that I wanted to do both quantitative and qualitative research. 

1. Quantitative method : Online Questionnaire 

Purpose: To know from people's perspective about this research problem.

2.
Qualitative method : Online Interview

Purpose: To gain deeper knowledge from experts because they will know better regarding this topic and may be answering appropriately.

22.05.19 (Week 8)

This week there were no class but we were tasked to make a powerpoint presentation about our research implementation and also the pros and cons, what, why, who and how. 




Fig 1.1 Research Implementation

29.05.19 (Week 9)

This week I showed Dr Hayati my slides and she told me that I am in the right track but I need to be aware for my questionnaire because it has to answer my objectives. I had to do some changes for the questions.


Fig 1.2 Final Questions for questionnaire


03.06.19 (Week 10)

This week it was public holiday but after confirming with Dr Hayati for my questions, I proceed with interviewing 6 designers/interviewees (Southeast Asian and Western). I sent 6 of them the first email.


Fig 1.2 List of designers (interviewees)



After reaching 6 of them, one of them replied and Dr Hayati said that I could proceed with the second email with my questions as well.


Fig 1.3 Interview questions



Fig 1.4 First email and Second Email

After that, I proceeded with the online questionnaire which consists of 9 questions to know about the experience of the users about virtual reality. I finalised my questions before sending the link.

Link to questionnaire : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfD0G8EbiTg1BojL2hwVBrj-Ts4Gf2X936axYSQGaiylExIIQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Fig 1.5 Questionnaire 

Fig 1.6 Questionnaire

Fig 1.7 Questionnaire

Fig 1.8 Questionnaire


12.06.19 (Week 11) 

This week, I got to consult with Dr Hayati my progress for my interview where my questions have been answered by the interviewee and also updates on the number of participants for the questionnaire. She told me to find other participants other than my friends such as VR golfers. I asked her if I could reach out to VR youtubers/gamers and she said okay. 

I found 2  online group community which consists of people who discuss about VR so I post my questionnaire there. The participants for my questionnaire grew rapidly.


19.06.19 (Week 12)

This week, I updated with Dr Hayati with the number of participants and also I told her that I have got 101 participants. She also recommended me 2 other VR experts in Malaysia and I tried reaching out to them. 


Fig 1.9 Online Interview with Mr Fariz Hanapiah


Data Analysis & Data Collection 

After gaining data, I began analysing them. Below are the data collection and data analysis.



Fig 1.10 Final Result of Research Implementation 

Fig 1.11 Final Result of Data Analysis


FEEDBACK

Week 8

No feedback was given.

Week 9

Dr Hayati told me that from looking at my slides, the qualitative method interview is okay but I need to inform her by this week about the list of VR designers. On the other hand for quantitative method, she reminded to see it again whether the questions are relevant to my objectives. She asked me to target vr gamers and vr golfers.

Week 10

Dr Hayati suggested me to do Skype call if I want as the interviewee suggested. On the other hand, for the questionnaire, she asked me to evaluate again and see if the questions are relevant for the objectives.

Week 11

Dr Hayati told me that I should find other people instead of my friends so I asked whether I could reach out to vr youtubers and she said okay.


REFLECTION

Experience

I was excited but also scared for interviewing experts. I could get relevant information from them however they could also decline the offer as well to response to the interview questions that I wished to ask.

Observation

I observed how these 2 methods that I have chosen are beneficial for my research. I am glad that I could apply the answers to my design research.

Findings

I found that it is important to plan on what methods we will choose to use as we can plan out to execute properly in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY - EXERCISES

DESIGN PRINCIPLES - EXERCISES & PROJECTS

MINOR PROJECT