ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY - PROJECT 1

ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY - PROJECT 1
07.05.19 - 21.05.19 (Week 6 - Week 8)
Maydeline (0335392)
Advanced Typography
Project 1
The Troublemakers Manifesto : A Design Colloquium - Title & Key Artwork

LECTURES

Lecture 6 : Finding Inspiration: Typeface Design

07.05.19

This week, the group presented about the ways we could find inspiration from typeface design or how designers out there who created typefaces found their inspiration. From this lecture, I found out that everyday objects around me could be inspiration in designing and I was dumbfounded but also inspired by the lecture. It was interesting to see how designers took the inspiration and created something that I would describe as mind-blowing and unique. What I learn is that if I keep researching, reading books, looking around finding inspiration, I could actually take it to my design projects and produce good works.

Here is the compilation of this week's lecture.




Lecture 7 : Thinking Before Drawing, Anatomy of Type, and Construction of Components

14.05.19

This week, my group presented about thinking before drawing, anatomy of type and construction of components. 






INSTRUCTIONS





PROJECT 1 - THE TROUBLEMAKERS MANIFESTO : A DESIGN COLLOQUIUM - TITLE & KEY ARTWORK

Week 6

For our first project, we were tasked to create a key artwork or signature artwork about The Troublemakers Manifesto : A Design Colloquium. We're required to apply what we've learned previous exercises and bring it to this project.

Here is the information that should be in the project 1 & 2:

Fig 1.1 Notes (Information)

I searched for some references of image and typography interplay because I wanted to apply that on my artwork.

Fig 1.2 Reference
Fig 1.3 Reference


At first I decided to go with this image and decided to do some interplay with it. I chose an image of a person naked and shouting.

Fig 1.4 1st attempt
After receiving feedback, Mr Vinod and Mr Shamsul said there is interplay but it's not troublemakers and they asked me to search for more ideas and definition of troublemakers, it can be a person, animal or other objects. I searched for more objects that represent troublemakers such as racoon, a kid and hacker. I found a picture of a kid holding a catapult and it is considered as troublemaker because kids with catapults/slingshots always break the glass or hit people. The lecturers were okay with that idea so I went with it.

Fig 1.5 Image Colored

Fig 1.6 Image B&W
Mr Vinod suggested me to replace the orange or ball on his hand with something else so I decided to go with letter as a replacement.

Fig 1.7 2nd attempt

Fig 1.8 3rd attempt
I noticed that my key artwork looks too simple and plain, it's lacking of excitement. So, I tried to make the letters like glass shattering at the background because kids with slingshots/catapults always create trouble by breaking the glass.

Fig 1.9 4th attempt
Mr Vinod said that it looks cool but the number of crack lines needed to be reduced. I took that feedback and reduced the number of lines on the glass shattering.

Fig 1.10 5th attempt

From the online feedback I got, the lecturer pointed out that "the" and "manifesto" have the same typeface so it has the same feeling and looks which may make people read these two first/last then the larger one (troublemakers). In addition, I noticed the troublemakers were a bit hard to read because Mr Vinod asked me to do a trial check on people and asked to type out what they will read. Some of them read "makers trouble" so I needed to fix the hierarchy and also readability because people might read it wrongly.

Fig 1.11 6th attempt

Mr Vinod said that the word "the" and "manifesto" didn't have to be in the middle and I could play with the alignment for example the word "the" aligned with the letter "R" and the word "manifesto" with the letter "B".

Fig 1.12 7th attempt
I noticed some people might not be able to read trouble so I tried to do a bit of changes and arrangements. I think that people might mistaken the O for C, so I tried to change it.

Fig 1.13 Final Outcome

Fig 1.14 PDF Final Outcome


FEEDBACK


Week 6

Specific Feedback : Mr Vinod said that the letters in exercise type & play pt 1 is good but it would be better if I try to work it a little bit more and make it more perspective. For the exercise type & play pt 2, my first attempt and second attempt is good, there is interplay, the second one is getting better but it's lacking of integration. Also, Mr Shamsul said that try to find a more HD image because it's a bit pixelated and it won't look nice of it is printed out. I could make changes but later on the future, now I should focus on my projects.

Week 7

General Feedback: Mr Vinod said we should move away from the western culture and focus more towards the asian culture that will make your work original. He also advised us to read more books so that it would give us more unique idea. 

Specific Feedback: Mr Vinod and Mr Shamsul said that there is interplay in my key artwork, but my image is not related to troublemakers. They told me to search more about troublemakers. At first, I changed my image to racoon, they said that it is correct but it is too western and contextual. Then I showed them a picture of a person holding a catapult/slingshot and they are okay with that idea so I went with it.

Week 8

Online Feedback: Wow. It looks cool. What is those lines? I think you might need to reduce the number of crack lines. Right now these two typefaces have the same look and feel. Which may make people read this two first/last then the larger one. Do a trial check with another student who dozens to know what you are doing and ask them to type out what they read. Did they read it correctly? Or di they read it wrongly. Then you can correct accordingly.

Specific Feedback: Mr Shamsul reminded me to be aware of the hierarchy and also the number of fonts are too many and I should reduce. Then, after lots of attempt, Mr Shamsul told me that the date "8 November 2019" might be a bit too far so its hard to read but the poster might work. In addition, Mr Vinod told me that the poster is good and to not delete it but try to create another variation. For the poster now, I need to make sure of the alignment. It's getting there.



REFLECTION

Experiences

Week 6

The exercises I have done for the past few weeks took long process but it was worth it and it shows in my works. I have gained lots of knowledge of the typographic systems, the creating typeface was unique and interesting, and lastly I even got to be creative with creating interplay between image and type.

Week 7

I had a hard time finding the right image for the first project. I kept looking around and see what everyone is doing and it really helps as it broaden my view of troublemakers that it has lots of definitions. However, I didn't know that choosing the right image is very time consuming.

Week 8


I had a bit of a hard time doing the poster because of the position of the text and key artwork but after lots of feedback and observation, I began to have a clear vision of how a good layout looks like. It is visible that I need to experiment a lot to get the perfect and best layout.

Observations

Week 6

I noticed that I have been very critical of my works these days. I felt that they are good but are lacking of something especially the exercise type & play part 2, it was lacking some excitement. The lecturers' feedbacks had really helped me a lot to know the errors.

Week 7 

I observed how everyone has chosen different image for defining troublemakers and they were interesting and even cute, it definitely helps me in finding idea for my project. Finding pictures of troublemakers are easy but finding the right one is hard.

Week 8

I observed that the choices of typefaces create a huge impact in hierarchy and feel so I needed to be aware of that. In addition, I observed how some of my classmates played around with the typefaces to make it interesting.

Findings

Week 6

I found out that I struggled a lot especially in finding ideas and sketching before digitising because that is the hardest part. However, through those hardship and late nights of doing assignments, it could be shown in my works.

Week 7

I found out that having the right and suitable image is crucial in designing as it helps us to be creative and make the readers understand what we are trying to deliver through the image and type.

Week 8

I found out how readability is the key to a successful poster as how the hierarchy is presented in the poster. It affects how people read it correctly so that people know what the event is about.


FUTHER READINGS

Exhibition Design : An Introduction 

Week 6 - Week 7

Legibility refers to the clarity of letterforms, individually and when composed to form words and lines, and is of paramount importance in exhibition text. This aspect of graphic design is the one over which designers have the most control. They are able to space words and paragraphs, vary font sizes and compose words in groups that make them easily readable by visitors. Well-design text will not be easily read if the lighting conditions are poor, or if it is behind reflective glass that makes seeing it difficult. Text that may be legible close up won't be clear if it is placed at the back of a display case, far away from the viewer.

The legibility of the text is influenced by the contrast between text colour and the colour of the background. If they are too similar the text will be difficult to read and present a problem for the visually impaired. Light coloured text on a dark background is harder to read than dark text on a light background. The designer can compensate for this by making the type larger arm in some cases bolder. The designer can always check the legibility by printing out a sample and pinning it on a wallet the intended distance from the viewer.

Fig 2.1 Designing for legibility

Fig 2.2 Designing for legibility




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY - EXERCISES

DESIGN PRINCIPLES - EXERCISES & PROJECTS

MINOR PROJECT