DESIGN RESEARCH DISSERTATION - PROJECT 2

DESIGN RESEARCH DISSERTATION - PROJECT 2
08.10.19 - 29.10.19 (Week 7 - Week 10)
Maydeline (0335392)
Design Research Dissertation
Project 2
Visual Design Publication & Final Dissertation

LECTURES

Lecture 7: -

08.10.19 (Week 7)

We did not have a lecture this week as we had to come up with ideas/mood boards for the publication design of our dissertation.

Lecture 8: -

15.10.19 (Week 8)

We had some lecture notes on samples and guide of the reference list. We continue to consult our ideas/mood boards and start with the draft layout in InDesign.

Lecture 9: -

23.10.19 (Week 9)

We had no lecture this week.

Lecture 10: -

30.10.19 (Week 10)

We had no lecture this week.


INSTRUCTIONS




PROJECT 2 - FINAL DISSERTATION

08.10.19 (Week 7) - 15.10.19 (Week 8)

This week, we had to think about our publication design. Firstly, we were tasked to create a moodboard first. We had to think about the cover, page layout, color and typography. Here is my moodboard :

Fig 1.1 1st attempt Moodboard 

After showing it, Dr Hayati told me that everything is fine except my page layout. She told me that since my topic is about locomotion, I should include movement to the layout instead of square layout.  I took the feedback and revised why moodboard. Here is my 2nd moodboard :

Fig 1.2 2nd attempt Moodboard (Final)

Dr Hayati approved my moodboard after seeing it and she asked me to make the cover first then proceed to layout.

22.10.19 (Week 9)

This week, we showed Dr Hayati on our progression. I consulted with her about my indesign page layout and book cover. She told me that the page layout is fine but don't make it too consistent. In addition, the overall feel of the book is very cartoonish, and she suggested me to include more realistic images. To start off, I need to fix my book cover. 


Fig 1.3 1st attempt Cover Page

Fig 1.4 2nd attempt Cover Page

Fig 1.5 Final Cover Page

29.10.19 (Week 10)

This week, I had to change my typeface to Alexana Neue(same like the cover page) to make it more futuristic rather than gaming style. In addition, this week is also submission week.

Complete Dissertation with Visual Design Publication

Fig 1.6 Complete Dissertation with Visual Design Publication (Spreads)




Fig 1.7 Complete Dissertation with Visual Design Publication (Pages)




FEEDBACK 

Week 7

No feedback was given this week.

Week 8

Specific Feedback : The color palette, table contents and typeface are fine since I’m implementing fantasy and locomotion/movement feeling. Try to find another page layout that has more movement/rhythm because the current one is very static/square. For dissertation moodboard 2, Dr Hayati approved it but she reminded me to make the transition to make sense/consistent.

Week 9

Specific Feedback : Dr Hayati said that my cover is too illustration and cartoon-ish. For changes made, she suggested me to use my illustration of the person but in exchange use real photos. My approach of this cover page should be virtual reality, something that doesn’t make sense (with a touch of reality photos). After lots of changes made, Dr Hayati approved my cover page.

Week 10

Specific Feedback : Dr Hayati reminded me not to use so many shapes as it won’t be consistent. She also asked me to make changes on my typeface from the gaming typeface to more futuristic typeface to make my dissertation book more serious as it’s too fun and party currently.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADVANCED TYPOGRAPHY - EXERCISES

DESIGN PRINCIPLES - EXERCISES & PROJECTS

MINOR PROJECT